and Elizabeth Tuttle
came from Old to New England in 1635
settled in New Haven in 1639.
some accounts of the descendants of John Tuttle of Dover, N. H., Richard
Tuttle of Boston, John Tuttle of Ipswich and Henry Tuthill of Hingham,
which are appended genealogical notes of several allied families by
George Frederick Tuttle of New Haven, Conn.
and published by Tuttle and Company, Official State Printers, Rutland,
is a copy of this book, from which the following records are taken, in
the Historical Rooms at Hartford, Conn. Copies are also owned by
Mrs. Dr. Carrington of Bristol, Conn. and Mrs. C. L. Taylor, 156 Lincoln
St., Meriden, Conn.
of the Tuttle family
1. William and Elizabeth Tuttle came to New England on the Planter 1635,
arriving in Boston about the first of July. About a year later "Mrs. Elizabeth Tuttle united with the
church in Boston July 24, 1636." The Colonial records of Massachusetts, New Haven and Connecticut contain in scattered
fragments nearly all that is known of Wm. Tuttle. He is called a
husbandman in the passenger list, which meant a proprietor, tilled his
own acres. He is also referred to often as Mr. Which was very rare
indeed, and especially in the case of a young man.
Wm. and Elizabeth Tuttle removed to New Haven in 1638, and in 1641
he was the owner of the home lot of Edward Hopkins, who soon after
removed to Hartford and afterward became the Governor of Connecticut. On
the death of Mrs. Elizabeth Tuttle, the old Tuttle homestead was sold to
Mrs. Caster. This was the only land owned by Yale College for over 30
years. The descendants of Wm. Tuttle owned a considerable part of the
Square which in the course of a century brought the whole of College
Square into possession of Yale College. These descendants appear as
grantors either directly to the college or to intermediate holders.
On this very spot where Wm. Tuttle lived and died, his great
grandson, Jonathan Edwards, studied, taught and achieved his great and
excellent tutorial renown. His dust lies under the sod of the Old Green,
exactly where, we know not. As social distinction was never lost sight
of even in the place of graves, we may conclude that he was buried among
the honored men of the colony. The last remainder of his estate was
distributed in 1709 to his children, or to their heirs. It was divided
into eleven parts. Joseph Tuttle, a grandson, appealed from this
division to the court at Hartford and deposited bonds to the amount of
(Pounds)20 to make his plea good.