Select: Home Tuttle page: 1 2 2a 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

The Tuttle Family Page 6 


p. 464

12 Timothy Tuttle, born 1682, probably in New Haven, removed with his father's family when about three years of age to Wallingford, Conn.

in early life he explored the country to the westward of Wallingford and selected land for a farm which he cleared with his own hands, and on it prepared a home for his family, working through the week as it was too far to go home every night and returning only on Saturdays, guided by a line of blazed trees he had marked through the woods. The spot is about a mile east of the central part of the village of Cheshire. In 1715 it is referred to in the division of Wallingford into school districts, the west
division, to extend "as far as west of the river, as high as Timothy Tuttle's and Timothy Beach's. Here he afterwards erected the first frame house in the town of Cheshire (according to the family tradition) but Joseph P. Beach has doubts about this house being the first and accords that honor to the Hitchcock house in another part of the town; "the Tuttle
house may have been the second;" It was a good specimen of the Connecticut farm house in the olden time; under its roof were born children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren of the builder; it was standing until a few years since, when it was burned by an incendiary, being at the time unoccupied.

In 1723 the West Wallingford District was made a society and at the first meeting (Sept. 16, 1723) Timothy Tuttle was voted Moderator for the ensuing year. His name is the first name on the records of the town.

November 4, 1723; Caleb Williams, Timothy Tuttle, Joshua Hotchkiss, Nathaniel Bunnell, and Thomas Corry were voted a committee to manage the work of the meeting house. Dec. 1723; Timothy Tuttle, Joseph Thompson, and Thomas Mathews, the committee to seat the meeting house.

Sept. 1, 1724, the same committee to "dignify the meeting house;" the same year he was one of
a committee of three to manage school affairs. November, 1724, he was one of the committee of three to manage affairs of Ordination (Rev. Samuel Hall was ordained the first pastor of the church in Cheshire, December, 1724).

The same year Timothy Tuttle appointed collector of the four penny rate.

In December, 1725, on a committee of three to manage society affairs for ensuing year.

Dec. 20, 1726 "Sergeant Tuttle" on committee of three to run boundary lines between the east and west societies (Wallingford and Cheshire).