WILLIAM LEWIS GAYLORD, son of Philip, was born in Bristol, and married
Nancy Fenn. He was in the mercantile trade with his brother Marvin, at
Schenectady, N.Y., then was a butcher in Seneca Falls, same State, next
was a hardware merchant in Lima, N.Y., and thence went to Atchison,
Kansas where he started a nursery but died not long afterward in
Buchanan County, Mo., August 5, 1860. The children born to William Lewis
and Nancy (Fenn) Gaylord were five in number. Jane married C. D.
Gaylord, the leading resident of Sodus, N.Y.; Susan; William is a
nurseryman and farmer of Ellis, Kans.; Marvin Lewis; and Edward Fenn is
a farmer and wood dealer in Bristol.
MARVIN LEWIS GAYLORD, proprietor of
one of the neatest and most prosperous meat markets in Bristol, was born
in Seneca Falls, N.Y., April 27, 1847. He is of the 11th generation of
this family in America and was primarily educated in Lima N.Y., and in
Buchanan County, Mo., whither the family had moved when he was ten years
of age. On the decease of his father, the mother, Marvin Lewis and
Edward F. returned East from Buchanan County, Mo. and located at
Plymouth Conn. where Marvin later worked for G. W. & S. H.
Bartholomew, brace manufacturers of Bristol, until 1864, when he
enlisted, serving until July, 1865. On being mustered out, he worked
again for the Bartholomews for 2 years and then went on the road selling
trees for Elwinger & Berrey. After a year's experience in this line
he for the next 4 years sold trees on his own account purchasing partly
from others. In 1882, or 1883, Mr. Gaylord engaged in the meat trade at
Bristol, in partnership with C. B. Ives, continuing for about 3 years,
when Mr. Gaylord disposed of his interest therein and bought out W.E.
Strong on North Street, and still conducts the same with most
enlistment of Mr. Gaylord, alluded to above took place at Hartford Sept
. 16 1864, in Company G, 1st Conn. Heavy Artillery. He was all through
the Petersburg (Va.) Campaign, with headquarters at Broadway Landing ,
under Gen. Abbott. He was mustered out at Fort Darling , Va. in July,
1865, and is now a member of G. W. Thompson Post, G.A.R. of Bristol.
The other fraternal associations to which Mr. Gaylord belongs are the
A.O.U.W Ethan Lodge, No. 9, K. of P., and Hiran Temple, No. 9., D. O. K.